Here we are, tomorrow is the 26th of January. Any Aussie would tell you that if you should go out on one occasion, it’s that one. Streets are packed, bars and restaurant have live bands playing, families and friends gather to watch fireworks and beers are out too. Happy day!
Australia day marks the anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet of British ships in New South Wales in 1788. It is now the largest civic event help in Australia each year.
If you want to know more about Australia’s history click here.
5 key numbers you should know about Australia Day:
- 21 million : number of citizens participating in celebrating this day each year (and 13 million of them attend specific Australia Day celebrations)
- 13,000 : number of people that became Australian citizen on January 26th, 2011
- 75% : percentage of Australians that believe this day should be a time to recognize and celebrate the country’s cultural diversity
- 33% : percentage of Australians that were born in another country
- 500,000 : number of people attending the biggest event held in Australia on this day, The City of Perth Skyworks!
BONUS: 1.7 billion : number of liters of beer per year drunk by Aussies… That’s about 680 bottles of beer for each adult.
Some events could explain why so many beers are drunk each year in Australia, click here to know why.
This day is just another reason why you should come to Australia. If you miss the 2019 one, don’t miss next year’s. To avoid that, tell us about your professional project and get help here: