We all know someone who missed its flight because of a terrible traffic jam on his way to the airport, or someone else who did not find its luggages at the arrival. Travel insurance covers all of the above and a lot more.
Indeed, it is important to mention that in case of an accident or health problem in Australia, you won’t be covered by your health insurance. It means that paying consultation and hospital fees will be your responsibility, which could be much more expensive than in your country.
In Australia, for example, medical care fees may differ from A$100 for a flu to more than $500,000 for a severe accident that necessitates hospitalisation, a long stay in a private hospital, rehabilitation… Without a private health insurance, you would have to pay all the fees by yourself.
For those who thought that their debit card will take care of the payment of all the fees, here are their limits:
- medical fees are limited to €11,000 for the basic debit card, up to €155,000 for the best ones (gold, infinite…), with high excesses (minimum of €50)
- Repayment are not from the 1st euro spent, but in addition to your public health insurance, which means you could face long processing delay
- hospital fees are paid in advance by the assistance provider of debit card, who asks for an acknowledgment of debt
- Your stay should be up to 90 days
- Travel insurances (cancellation, luggage lost…) are only included with the best debit cards if you pay your travel with your card
To avoid any unpleasant surprise, you should subscribe to a travel insurance before coming to Australia!
Travel insurances propose different solutions according to the duration and the type your stay. If you are a business professional, a young professional with a working holiday visa or doing an internship, a student, or an expat, AVA will have an insurance solution for you! Please visit AVA website to find more about travel insurance offers.